CITB – Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
Who is it for
The Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course is for you if you’re considering, or already have, responsibilities for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff e.g. site manager.
Pre-Requisites: The minimum entry requirement is a good understanding of spoken and written English
The SMSTS course covers all relevant legislation affecting safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture within the workforce.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation affecting your daily work
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice
- State your duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment
- Certification for this course is valid for 5 years. To remain certified in this area, you will need to take a refresher course before the expiry date on your certificate, otherwise the full course will need to be retaken
What to expect on the course
The SMSTS course has a plenty of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies.
Some of the Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course content will require delegates to compile and present their understanding of how to comply with current legislation for assessment by presenting tool box talks and a planning exercise.
During the SMSTS course, projects are undertaken in groups and constantly assessed by the course tutor. At the conclusion of the course, delegates are required to undertake a short multiple choice assessment.
Those who successfully complete the projects and assessment are awarded the CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Certificate.
By the end of the course
By the end of the Site Management Safety Training (SMSTS) course, delegates will be aware of and be able to:
- Manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the
context of their management or supervisory role.
- Develop an understanding of responsibility and accountability for site health, safety and welfare,
and recognise that a safe site is efficient, economical and productive.
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which effects them during their daily work.
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice.
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
Qualifications you gain
SMSTS – Construction Site Managers Safety Certificate (valid 5 years) will be awarded to those persons who successfully complete the course including the compulsory final examination (80% pass mark).
You must attend the full 37.5 hours of training in order to get the Site Safety Plus certificate. If you can’t attend the full course, you’ll need to enrol and take the course again. You may be charged extra to cover the costs of switching courses.
You need to renew this certificate every five years before it expires by attending the SMSTS Refresher course. Otherwise, you’ll need to take the full SMSTS course again.
About our training
There are no hidden extras to pay on top of our health and safety training course prices, unlike other providers who charge extra for things like study books and exam fees.
Our SMSTS courses have the following included in the course cost:
Delegate workbook XA6
Construction Site Safety GE 700 publication
CITB Certificate Fees
Refreshments Throughout The Day
Free All-Day Car Parking (Except Waterloo)