This Manual Handling Training course builds on the best practice guidance from the Health and Safety Executive and provides learners with the opportunity to practice safe moving principles.
The Health and Safety and Work Act 1974 and the Manual Handling Operation Regulations 1992 require each employer to provide adequate supervision and training and as well as undertake manual handling risk assessments. This qualification will support employers to demonstrate their commitment to the legal obligations.
The qualification is ideal for new starters, existing staff and for refresher training.
What is covered
Session 1- The reasons for safe manual handling
- Define the term ‘manual handling’
- List the common types of manual handling hazards
- Understanding of the functions of the spine
- State the key pieces of legislation which enforce manual handling in the UK
- Quote the consequences for not adhering to health and safety legislation
Session 2- Manual handling risk assessments
- Explain the terms ‘hazard’, ‘risk’ and ‘control measure’
- State the process for a manual handling risk assessment
- Describe the principle of the risk control hierarchy in manual handing
Session 3- Manual handling equipment and safety
- State the principles to move objects safely
- List the different types of manual handling equipment available
- State the legal requirements for testing and servicing manual handling and lifting equipment.
Session 4- Safe manual handling principles
Demonstrate safe manual handling principles as an individual, with equipment and as a member of a team.
How is the Manual Handling Training Course assessed
- The practical Learning Outcomes are assessed by observation.
- Multi Choice Questions (MCQ) for theory and underpinning knowledge.
To Awarded this qualification the Learner must 100% pass of the assessments carried out by observation together with a percentage pass in the MCQ paper.
Why take the Manual Handling Training Course
Injuries caused by manual handling are responsible for a significant number of accidents and lost working time in workplaces. This course provides information, advice and general techniques for safe manual handling.
Is the Manual Handling Course for me
The Level 2 Award in Safe Moving and Handling (Manual Handling) qualification is designed to provide learners with the knowledge and skills to safely move objects in the workplace.
Benefits of taking the Manual Handling Training
The many benefits of taking your Level 2 Award in Safe Moving and Handling Certificate with Southwest Health and Safety include:
- Achievement – Southwest have excellent pass rates consistently from 95-100%
- Expert tutor support – Our tutors will be on hand to support you all the way through the course
- Interactive training – with discussions, case studies and application to workplace case studies
- Confidence – Ensuring that you are well prepared for all exams with revision materials and exam question practice
- Greater productivity – fewer hours lost to sickness and accidents
- Improved organisation-wide safety awareness culture and appreciation of safety measures
- Active staff involvement to improve the workplace
- Bespoke / In-House training – We also offer Bespoke and In-house training for a minimum of 6 delegates
- Ensures you can assess and control risks and hazards associated to Manual Handling
- Ensures you understand your own responsibilities for safety and health